Grease fires happen quickly. You may be frying some bacon or chicken and all of a sudden your kitchen is on fire. Do you know how to put out a grease fire?
There are several things that can and should be done, as long as it is safe to do them:
1. Turn off the heat source.
2. Cover the flames with a metal lid. This works for small grease fires. Fire has to have oxygen to survive and placing a lid over the flames will cut off the oxygen supply causing the flames to extinguish themselves.
3. Pour baking soda on the flames. This only works for small fires. But a word of caution, it will take a large amount to extinguish small flames.
4. As a last resort, or if the flames are too large for the previously mentioned methods, use a Class B Dry Chemical fire extinguisher. Use of a fire extinguisher will result in much more clean up needed, but it's better than letting a grease fire destroy your entire home.
5. Call 9-1-1.
NEVER, use water to try and put out a grease fire. This will cause the grease to splatter and the fire to spread. Also, do not move the pot/skillet around, as this could cause the fire to spread as well.
SERVPRO of Anniston, Gadsden and Marshall County is #HereToHelp at 256-236-8889.