Space Heater Safety
As the weather getting cooler space heaters get cranked up. SERVPRO of Anniston, Gadsden and Marshall County is HERE TO HELP with some safety tips to help prevent fires due to space heaters.
1. Keep all sides of the heater away from curatins, blankets, furniture, or any other items that could possibly catch fire. Three feet is the general recommended distance.
2. Space heaters should never be plugged into power strips or extension cords. They are not designed to handle the electrical load of a space heater.
3. Space heater cords should not be under rugs, carpeting, blankets, or other flammable items. The cord may get hot if covered. If the cord or plug ever feels hot, discontinue use of the heater until it can be inspected by a repair person.
4. Ensure the space heater is on a solid and sturdy surface that can not tip over.
5. Turn the heater off when you go the bed or leave the home. Space heaters should not be left running unattended.
6. Make sure there are no liquids around the space heater. Water and electricity never mix.
7. Heaters should be placed where small children can not knock them over, cover them, or burn themselves on them.